Creating the schedule this year, as with all years, is a challenging affair. We look at trying to balance the various nuances – number of home and away games, number of double headers, number of times you play each opponent, number of times each team plays in each time slot. These are the balance elements, the other part is making sure that the schedule doesn’t conflict with the Islamic calendar.
To that end, we wanted to share what the available schedule looks like this year
|May 14||Mother’s Day|
|May 21||Regular Season|
|May 28||Ramadhan||Ramadhan Tournament|
|Jun 4||Ramadhan||Ramadhan Tournament|
|Jun 11||Ramadhan||Ramadhan Tournament|
|Jun 18||Ramadhan||Ramadhan Tournament|
|Jun 25||Ramadhan||Ramadhan Tournament|
|Jul 2||Long Weekend|
|Jul 9||Regular Season|
|Jul 16||Regular Season|
|Jul 23||Regular Season|
|Jul 30||Regular Season|
|Aug 6||Long Weekend||Mid-Season Tournament|
|Aug 7||Long Weekend||Mid-Season Tournament|
|Aug 13||Regular Season|
|Aug 20||Regular Season & Playoffs|
|Sep 3||Long Weekend|
When looking at the post-season survey, many of you asked the following questions
- Why was there a two week gap between the playoff rounds? The gaps are due to Islamic programs or the existence of long weekends, this was the case last year, this is also the case this year as you can see from the availability above.
- Can we make the diamond available on days that there is a mosque program? If there is a mosque program, we do not hold games to encourage everyone to attend the program. We will not be changing this stance.
- Can we play on long weekends? We generally avoid playing on long weekends, because of other conflicts – however, this year we will be having a tournament mid-season that will take place during one of the long weekends. If this is successful we will explore repeating this in future years.
Changes for this year:
- Double headers and lots of them – in any given week 4 of the 6 teams will be playing in a double header
- Mid Season Tournament – During the August long weekend, the team’s rank will determine it’s seeding in a double elimination tournament
- Few other rule changes that you can see under the 2017 Registration post
Without further adieu, we bring you the 2017 regular season schedule:
From a balance perspective, the following is true
- Each team will play 11 regular season games and at least 2 games in the mid season tournament
- Each team will be home at least 5 times but not more than 6 times during the regular season
- Each team will have 4 double headers
- Each team will play every other team at least 2 times but not more than 3 times during the regular season
- Each team will play in every single time slot at least once, but not more than 4 times (This was impossible to balance and was prioritized last)
We hope you enjoy the coming season, we’re looking forward to it and hope to see you on the field. If you haven’t already, head to the 2017 Registration post to get your spot in the 2017 season.